Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Prescription for Education

Here's my abbreviated prescription for our nation's public schools:

1. Teacher starting salary $80 k.
2. Teachers are hired with the expectation that they will serve only two years. Discharge them honorably with tuition to grad school.
3. The best 10% of teachers make it past those first 2 years. That will build in experience and mentoring.
4. No education classes recognized: content or nothing.
5. Maximum class size 12 students.
6. Standardized testing: AP exams, period.
7. Mandatory daily sports.
8. Mandatory daily chores (no maintenance staff).
9. Honor system strictly enforced.
10. Maximum school size 150 students.
11. 3 Rs + E: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, and Entrepreneurialism. ...For EVERY kid!

As I said, that's just a start. As the saying goes, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!"

Some day soon, I'll get my hands on a charter school. Look out World!

PS - A link to the prep. school that literally changed my life. I can't stress that enough; it is impossible for me to exaggerate (try as I may). When the day comes for said charter school of my own, I plan to copy just as much as I possibly can from the Wooster School: http://www.woosterschool.org/community/commsvc.php